Multani mitti, or Fuller’s earth, is a mineral-rich clay used for centuries in the Indian subcontinent and other countries. It is widely used in skin care products due to its absorbing power for oil and dirt from the skin.
While it is beneficial for some people, there can be side effects of Multani Mitti as well. In this article, I will discuss four potential side effects of using Multani Mitti on your skin or ingesting it orally. I will also discuss the benefits of using this clay and three easy-to-make face packs at home that you can use safely if you wish to try out Multani Mitti yourself.
- Multani mitti can cause skin irritation, with redness and itching being common symptoms.
- People with dry or sensitive skin should avoid using this product as the clay can draw out too much moisture from the skin, resulting in further dryness.
- Multani mitti may lead to dry skin or hair loss if used too often or too heavily on the hair.
- Multani mitti can have side effects if ingested, such as digestive system irritation and nutritional deficiency.
Origin of Multani Mitti
Multani mitti is a top-rated skincare product belonging to Multan in Pakistan.
It is available in different colors like green and brown. The best part of using Multani Mitti is that it decolorizes the effect of oil or chemical treatments on your skin.
The product is recommended once or twice a week to get softer skin and remove dead skin cells, depending on your skin type. You can also check with your dermatologist about using Multani Mitti daily.
Chemical Composition of Multani Mitti
Taking note of the chemical composition, Multani Mitti consists of:
- Magnesium chloride
- Moisturized aluminum silicates
- Calcium bentonite
- Bentonite clay
The goodness of Multani Mitti does not stop here, as it contains anti-acne properties and is antimicrobial. Stating its advantageous nature, it exhibits astringent and radiant skin properties. Of course, you must mix Multani Mitti with the water to form a smooth paste and apply it to your face or neck.
Side Effects of Multani Mitti
Multani mitti has been used for centuries as a beauty treatment, but there are some potential side effects to consider. Therefore, knowing the potential risks associated with Multani mitti is important before using it.
- Skin Irritation
Using Multani mitti can cause skin irritation, with redness and itching being common symptoms. While it is a herbal ingredient that has many benefits in skin care, those with sensitive skin should use it cautiously as it may not agree with their skin type.
The most common side effects are dryness and a burning sensation. People with dry or sensitive skin should avoid using this product as the clay can draw out too much moisture from the skin, resulting in further dryness.
However, to prevent these side effects, one can mix Multani mitti with citrus juice or lemon juice before application to reduce its potency and make it more suitable for their skin type.
- Allergic Reactions
People with sensitive skin or allergic to Multani mitti may experience side effects when using it on their face or scalp.
These reactions can include redness, itching, rashes, and pimples. The properties of Multani mitti can also irritate the scalp if used too often or too heavily on the hair.
It’s important to research the ingredients in Multani mitti before using it for skincare purposes and consult your doctor if you have any concerns about possible allergic reactions.
- Skin Darkening
Using Multani Mitti can cause skin irritation, burning sensations, and dryness. It may also clog pores and lead to acne breakouts if not used properly. Prolonged use can also lead to darkening of the skin. Consult a doctor before using it for medical purposes.
What are the Side Effects of Eating Multani Mitti?
Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth) is known for absorbing oil and dirt from the skin and is often used in facial masks and skin treatments. While it is generally considered a safe and effective skin treatment, consuming Multani Mitti can lead to certain side effects.
The most common side effect of consuming Multani Mitti is stomach upset. This may include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consuming high amounts of Multani Mitti can cause constipation, abdominal pain, and bloating. People who consume large amounts of this clay may also experience a decrease in appetite.
In rare cases, consuming high amounts of Multani Mitti can lead to more serious side effects, such as liver damage, kidney damage, and anemia. Additionally, people with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, may experience a decrease in blood sugar levels.
Benefits of Using Multani Mitti
Multani Mitti can provide various benefits, from promoting healthy hair growth to clearing up acne. It’s a natural and gentlest clay used in Ayurvedic treatments for centuries due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Skin Toning: Taking note of the Multani Mitti benefits, it effectively tones your skin. This means you can slow down the signs of aging, such as loose skin, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and fine lines. Of course, no one wants to look old at a young age, and Multani Mitti is meant to do wonders for your skin.
- Better Skin Texture: Multani Mitti is highly effective in increasing skin elasticity and provides a cooling effect because of its qualitative nature. So, this makes it necessary for skincare professionals or people to use Multani Mitti in the summers for excellent effect.
- Helps Exfoliate Skin: Another Multani mitti benefit for the skin is that it has been considered an essential home remedy for acne, pimples, and skin marks. The best aspect of using Multani Mitti is applying it daily to keep your skin healthy.
- Moisturizes Skin: Infused with absorbent effects, it effectively eliminates excess oil from the skin to stop the growth of pimples. This tends to give a cleansing effect and enables the Multani Mitti to remove polluted particles attached to the skin.
- Acts as an Astringent: It consists of antimicrobial properties, which keep bacteria and microorganisms away from your skin. Moreover, you can apply Multani Mitti on wounds as it acts as a bandage and prevents infection. Indeed, its cooling effects are significant enough to have a soothing effect on your skin. So it is always better to opt for Multani Mittti.
- It can also improve skin texture by removing dead skin cells and promoting new cell growth.
How to apply Multani Mitti on the Face Safely? – Guide to DIY Facepacks
Multani Mitti is one of the most liked and preferred ways of maintaining the glow of your skin.
Thinking about how to use Multani mitti?
Of course, you need to check with varied forms of applications and use them safely on your face for great results.
- For Normal skin
While normal skin types may not experience severe skin issues, they still benefit from regular pampering sessions to maintain optimal function.
Incorporating a face pack made with papaya pulp, Multani mitti, and rose water into your skincare routine can elevate your skincare game and transform your skin from dull to fabulous in no time.
Here’s how to make the face pack:
- Take one cup of ripe papaya and mash it into a smooth pulp.
- Add two tablespoons of Multani mitti to the papaya pulp and mix them well.
- To achieve the desired consistency, add some rose water and continue mixing.
- Apply the face pack onto your face, ensuring even coverage, and leave it on for approximately half an hour.
- Rinse off the pack with water and follow up with your regular moisturizer.
- Repeat this process once or twice a week for desirable and flawless skin.
The combination of Papaya pulp, Multani mitti, and Rosewater will work synergistically to promote a radiant complexion and improve the overall health of your skin.
- For Combination skin
Not all natural ingredients are suitable for combination skin, as they may either strip away the oil, leaving your dry areas even drier or provide moisturization. However, Multani mitti is a versatile ingredient with hydrating and oil-absorbing properties, making it ideal for combination skin types.
It nourishes and moisturizes dry patches while managing excess oil in oilier areas. To create a DIY face pack tailored for combination skin, mix Multani mitti with honey for added moisture and lemon to combat bacteria and grease.
Here’s how to make the face pack:
- Combine two tablespoons of Multani mitti with one tablespoon of organic honey. Mix the two ingredients thoroughly.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the mixture and continue mixing until you achieve a consistent paste.
- If the face pack appears too dry to apply, add more honey or cold water to adjust the consistency.
- Apply the mask on your cleansed face, ensuring complete coverage of your oily and dry zones. Leave it on for approximately half an hour.
- Rinse off the pack with lukewarm water and gently pat your skin dry.
- Finish with a non-oily, water-based moisturizer to lock in moisture and maintain skin balance.
- Incorporate this face pack into your skincare routine every week for optimal results.
Multani mitti, honey, and lemon work in tandem to provide hydration, oil control, and antibacterial benefits, helping you achieve a balanced complexion.
- For Sensitive Skin
Multani mitti possesses cooling properties that can help heal sunburned and itchy skin while providing soothing qualities to alleviate irritations.
Here’s a simple recipe for making the face pack:
- Gather half a cup of Multani mitti, a quarter cup of milk, and a tablespoon of freshly extracted aloe vera gel.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you achieve a smooth paste.
- Apply the mixture onto your cleansed face, ensuring even coverage.
- Allow the face pack to sit on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes, allowing its nutrients to be absorbed.
- Once the pack has dried, rinse it thoroughly and follow up with your regular moisturizer.
- Repeat this process once a week to maintain healthy and flawless skin for optimal results.
Incorporating this Multani mitti face pack into your skincare routine allows you to pamper your sensitive skin while reaping its benefits.
While Multani mitti benefits skin health, it can cause irritation and allergic reactions in some people. Eating multani mitti should be avoided as it may result in digestive problems.
We recommend using natural ingredients like Multani mitti to make your face packs at home. This way, you can enjoy its benefits without risking any adverse reactions.
So if you’re looking for a natural alternative to chemical-based skincare products, try multani mitti.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we use Multani Mitti every day?
Yes, Multani Mitti can be used daily. All you have to do is ensure that it suits your skin type. In this regard, taking suggestions from a dermatologist will be beneficial.
Can Multani Mitti remove tan?
Yes, Multani Mitti effectively uses tan, pigmentation, dark circles, and oil residuals. Indeed, it is an ideal beauty product for oily skin. In this regard, you can mix milk with Multani Mitti to form a paste and apply it to your face. Let the paste dry off and wash it with normal water.
Does Multani Mitti remove acne?
Yes, the natural essence of Multani Mitti for acne is effective enough to remove them and skin blemishes. Just make a paste of Multani Mitti with water and add lemon juice. Furthermore, apply the pack to the acne and let it dry. Later, wash the dried pack with water.
Does Multani Mitti whiten skin?
Multani Mitti is considered effective in improving skin tone. Its bleaching effect reduces dark spots, pigmentation, and blemishes. Additionally, products containing Multani Mitti as an ingredient effectively enhance the complexion.
Is Multani Mitti good for oily skin?
Yes, Multani Mitti is good for oily skin as it contains moisturizing effects. It has medicinal properties, which reduce oiliness and lends glowy skin. As the oil content in your skin reduces, there are chances that pimples might not appear.
Does Multani Mitti expire?
Certainly, the raw Multani Mitti does not expire. But, the ones available in commercialized packs should be checked for the manufacturing and expiry dates. By doing so, you can prevent the occurrence of any side effects.
What is the best way to apply Multani Mitti to the face?
I recommend mixing multani mitti with yogurt/dahi and applying it to the face. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water. This will help give a natural glow and reduce acne.
How often should Multani Mitti be used?
I recommend using Multani Mitti twice weekly to maintain healthy, glowing skin. However, depending on your skin type and sensitivity, you can adjust the frequency as needed.
Is Multani Mitti suitable for all skin types?
Yes, Multani mitti is suitable for all skin types. It helps cleanse, soothe, and soften the skin while providing many beneficial nutrients. Its natural properties make it a great choice for any skin type, as long as it is used properly. However, people with sensitive skin need to take extra precautions while applying Multani mitti